Enrol in a Course
Subject Details - Stage 1 Legal Studies A - Absolutely 100% Not Guilty
SACE Stage 1
: Legal Studies: Criminal law
• How are criminal cases prosecuted in court?
• What happens when the courts get it wrong?
• How are young offenders treated by our criminal justice system?
• How can you influence criminal law in Australia?
Have you ever wondered how lawyers can defend someone they know is guilty, how judges and magistrates decide what sentences to give or what “the right to remain silent” actually means? If so, then this course might be perfect for you.
This unit explores the criminal justice system and the roles of police, prosecutors, defence lawyers and South Australia criminal courts. Throughout the course you will apply your legal knowledge as you explore a number of real-world case studies. You will look at the strengths and weaknesses of the South Australian criminal legal system, and examine cases where the jury made the wrong decision. You will also have the opportunity to visit the Adelaide Magistrates Court and Parliament of South Australia.
Through this unit students will:
• understand how the criminal justice system works in South Australia
• develop an understanding of the strengths and weakness of the criminal justice system
• understand why and how the government represents us
• analyse the role of the government in Australia
• explore an area of interest of their choice, allowing students to develop and practice inquiry skills through accessing and using information
• use legal terminology to analyse and evaluate real-world case studies
• analyse data such as statistics, to identify trends and patterns in criminal offending in South Australia
• express their own ideas and opinions in a variety of ways
Advice To Students
This subject forms a useful background for the study of Legal Studies at Stage 2.
© 2006-2021 eSchool Solutions